Trolling motor Batteries find extensive usage in a number of recreational vehicles and boats for an amazing and relaxing water experience. Trolling motor batteries helps in enhancing the kayaking experience of the individual to help them perform at their highest potential.
It is important to know which trolling battery holds best for the kayak for all types of recreational cruisers and dedicated hunters. The Following guide would help in choosing the best trolling motor batteries and the tips to buy them with their maintenance guide.
Trolling batteries are indeed amazing units that helps with power back up for an array of equipment and vehicles such as electric cars, medical equipment, speed bikes etc. They are able to adapt themselves to any weather conditions and operate under extremes of temperatures.
Their AGM technology of interlocking the electrolyte plates offers spill proofing and they are good to get mount at any angles. There are a number of batteries available in the market and users might be confused on which one to choose and we hope the following guide would help them to narrow down on the best one.
Best Trolling Motor Battery
Quick Answer: Top 5 Best Trolling Motor Batteries – 
- Mighty Max Battery 12V 35AH SLA Battery
- Sealed Lead Acid (AGM) Deep Cycle Battery
- Native Watercraft Slayer 10 Propel KayakExpertPower Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery
- Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop Battery
- VMAXTANKS VMAX 12 Volt 35AH AGM Battery
Best Trolling Motor Battery Reviews
Its AGM technology extends its use at indoors and other enclosed environments and its valve regulated design prevents leaks and exceptional performance in both cyclic and float applications.
The batteries find extensive usage in electric vehicles, engines, golf carts, lawn and garden movers, motor cycles, emergency lighting systems, access control devices and lots more. The battery has a high discharge rate, at extreme operating temperatures and a long service life.
The battery is free to mount in any position and resists strongly against vibration and shocks. Its performance is exceptional in both high and low temperatures and comes with a complete one year warranty and a 30 days refund policy.
The AGM technology battery takes up at any angle to mount and can be used in any surface including water transport. The AGM battery is spill proof completely and has a low internal resistance and thus can be used in enclosed surroundings as well. The battery is capable of offering high currents when needed and has a long service life.
It is lightweight, free of maintenance and offers excellent electrical reliability. It is less prone for sulfation and can be stored for a longer period without charging. The acid inside in encapsulated through matting technology and thus is spill proof. It charges up to five times faster than other batteries and is resistant to vibration owing to the sandwich construction of AGM technology.
It is extremely user friendly and desires one time installation for the application to start running within no time. The batteries find extensive usage in emergency systems, medical equipment, home security systems, solar collectors, wheelchairs and a number of other applications.
They are good to be used in electric driven vehicles such as marine personal craft, street sport motorbikes, street motor scooters and all-terrain vehicles. They are efficient and highly reliable batteries with quality guaranteed by the manufacturer. The prices are kept low to be affordable by everyone.
The battery features a power of 12 volts and 55 amperes. Dual SAE and stainless steel studs add to the durability and versatility of the Trolling motor battery. Its optimal starting power even in bad and cold weather and its ability to get mounted in any position makes it a battery of choice to be used in boats and recreational vehicles with huge loads.
The battery if more than 15 times resistance to vibration that ensures its durability. It also has a reserve capacity of two hours for constant performance. It has the maximum reserve capacity and a long shelf life to offer all the power when needed.
The battery is warrantied to be free from defects in both materials and workmanship from its manufacturers. It also has a 24 months replacement warranty against defective parts.
It has a number of electrical and physical advantages which marks its difference compared with lead acid batteries. The battery is extremely resistant to vibrations and electrical shocks. The AGM technology ensures that the electrolytes in the battery are completely absorbable and thus it is non-hazardous and non-spilling.
The battery tank has tough seals protecting its highly packed plates and delivers 100% maintenance free package for the buyer. They have a long life span and could engage trolling motors for long running times.
They also have the capacity to recover after deep recharges. What differentiates VMAX from its rivals is its maintenance free operation; there is no need to check the electrolyte and water levels as with other battery types.
Trolling Motor Batteries Buying Guide
Most of the Trolling motor Batteries are efficient in managing the power details of moving motor vehicles and are built on the latest technological features to meet the needs of modern days. There are a lot of features to consider before narrowing down on the best battery. These factors are,
- Type of The Battery
- Weight of The Battery
- Voltage and Amp- hour
- Calculating The Cold Cracking Amperes
- Life Span of Battery
Type of The Battery:
There are a number of different types of trolling motor batteries available and not all of them are the same. Using a battery of less efficiency could damage the motor and a little research is required the apt battery with the correct motor. The different types of batteries that are available are,
- Flooded Trolling Batteries: They are easy and quick to handle and operate on their own until their life of two years. They wet lead acid are cheap to purchase and can be used for trolling motor uses.
- Absorbed Glass Mate Battery: The batteries constructed under the AGM technology are generally at the higher end and are meant to offer constant power for a long period. They last longer at every use and their lifespan is twice as that of wet led acid batteries. They are expensive and their performance is consistent. They have apparently less maintenance and are ideal for average anglers.
- Gel Batteries: These batteries are filled with a gel like fluid that powers and protects the battery. These gel batteries are resistant to vibration and not spill when kept in storage. The market for these gel batteries is limited and a battery made specifically for trolling motors is hard to find.
Weight of The Battery:
The weight of the trolling motor battery is an important factor to consider as the weight of it should not be too much. There are concerns on their weight slowing down the motor vehicle such as kayak boats as their load capacity is also limited. Most of the modern day batteries are in the weight range of 30 to 50 pounds. Most of the kayak users would recommend batteries that are less than thirty pounds.
Voltage and Amp- hour:
The voltage capacity and the Amp hour rating is an important factor to consider in choosing the motor battery. Amp hour is the calculation of the amount of amperes that can be discharged by the battery in a certain period of time.
For example if the trolling motor battery has an amp hour of 50 amps then, it can produce 10 amps for 5 hours and 5 amps for 10 hours etc. The number of hours the battery could run on one charge is calculated by dividing the amp hour rating by the number of amperes that are bound to get discharged.
Higher the amp hour rating longer is the battery’s power to run. Heavier is the boat, larger should be the amp hour.
Calculating The Cold Cracking Amperes:
This term is also denoted as the CCA, and is important to start batteries that need to release large amount of energy within a short time frame. CCA is the amount of amperes that the battery releases during the initial thirty seconds of power.
Reserve capacity is the measurement of how long a battery could release electricity before having to recharge again. CCA is the most important and high neglected component while looking into the battery specifications, but it has two important functions such as starting the equipment and keeping it in running position.
Life Span of Battery:
The life span of the battery is also termed as the cycle life. Most of the batteries available at recent times are deep cycle battery, denoting that they have a longer life span. In general the average life span of a battery is between two to four years.
Advantages of Trolling Motor Batteries:
- A trolling motor batter powers the trolling motor and other power hungry applications in the boat. Their deep cycle capabilities allow them to hold the charge even after powering all equipment in the boat.
- The trolling batteries are predominantly used on boats to propel the engine and to help the cruiser enjoy a relaxing vacation in the lakes and rivers.
- The battery is also good to use a number of other electrical items such as motor bikes, electric vehicles and used even in some medical equipment.
- Some batteries are good enough to get charged using a solar power, while sitting in the middle of a lake on a lazy afternoon either fishing or relaxing the mind
- The batteries can be used to power the fun electronic accessories in the boat such as radio, tablets and mobiles.
- Most of the deep cycle batteries of average quality are able to survive the shift water waves and even the rocking of the boat and are resistant for vibrations.
- Most of the deep cycle batteries use small amount of energy and retain the rest for later, they are adaptable for on and off usage. This is perhaps the reason why recreational vehicle owners prefer them the most.
- They avoid overheating and are adaptable for extremes of temperature as well.
Trolling Motor Batteries Maintenance Guide:
- Storage is an important part of maintaining the Battery to enhance its overall life duration. After returning from each trip, the battery has to be put on charge. If it is not recharged there are chances for its liquid components to dry up and the battery may eventually die.
- If the battery is not used for a particular time period, it may hesitate to recharge and get started. It should not be left in the shelf for a prolonged time.
- The area where the battery is stored should be dry and cold. Wet cell batteries should have distilled water to top it up, with fluid levels kept at optimum levels.
- Batteries should be protected from cold weather in winters as it could affect their lifespan adversely
- Some batteries should be kept on trickle charge, to keep them charging at slow speed with a low amp charger.
- Batteries should be checked frequently to ensure they are in good working order.
All of us prefer to have the best motor battery for our electric powered equipment; trolling motor batteries are highly efficient in offering excellent power back up for a prolonged time period. These are indeed heavy duty batteries that offer incredible power back up.
All batteries are not the same when it comes to performance and other specifications. We have tried our best to render appropriate information on high performing trolling motor batteries, so that you don’t have to worry about your battery getting dried in the middle of a trip.
A quality deep cycle trolling battery would not just keep the engine moving but also helps to power all electronic gadgets in the kayak. They are easy to store and maintain and are ready for every adventurous trip with a little charge boost.
For more of our top gear recommendations, check out these popular outdoor gear guide links: Best Kayak Trailers | Best Canoe Paddles | Best Kayak Seats| Best Tandem Kayaks | Best Stand up Paddle Boards (SUP) | Best Body boards | Best Skimboards | Best Kayaks For Kids | Best Kayak Anchors | Best Beginner Kayaks | Best Fishing Kayaks | Best Recreational Kayaks