Best Road Bikes Under $500
Most of us are diehard fans of road bikes. We use the bikes for a number of purposes with recreation and getting around on the bike taking the top positions. Some people use these bikes for shopping and for enjoying a pleasant ride on a warm sunny evening. But the applications of the road bikes do not end here.
It serves as one of the best exercises to remove all the excess fat that stays in one’s body. Thus cycling for a fixed time period on a daily basis helps in improving the physical strength of a person. It also helps them to maintain a healthy and well-balanced body.
There are a number of the best road bike brands and choosing the best bike is not an easy task. There are a number of factors to consider and a number of brands to scam through before fixing on the best model.
We have made your search simpler and have come up with some of the best brands of bikes here. Our collection of bikes is less than $500, to help with your search better.
Best Road Bikes Under $500
Quick Answer: The 5 Best Road Bikes Under $500 – 
- Vilano R2 Commuter Aluminum Road Bike
- Pure Fix Original Fixed Gear Single Speed Fixie Bike
- 6KU Aluminum Fixed Gear Single-Speed Fixie Urban Track Bike
- Goplus Commuter Bike Road Bike
- Trinx TEMPO1.0 700C Road Bike Shimano 21 Speed Racing Bicycle
Best Road Bikes Reviews
This is one of the best road bikes that is available less than $500. It comes partially assembled in a cardboard box, and you can do the rest of the assembly by yourself.
The Vilano R2 is a perfect bike to ride for work, to school and even all over the city during weekends. This is an excellent entry-level bike for those who wish to dwell into cycling and for those looking for a lightweight model for daily riding.
The cycle consists of a double-butted frame that is of pure aluminum material. It is made extremely lightweight and has A050 Thumb shifters. It also has a double wall wheelset that is CNC machined along with quick-release skewers.
You will be able to handle any riding situation with this bike, with the help of its 21-speed drivetrain. The bike comes with free pedals and you only have to do a bit of tuning and assembling from your end.
These bikes render an excellent combination of style, affordability, and speed. These bikes are ideal for those who get back into biking after a few years and are thus simple and fun to bike with.
The bike is made of durable and high tensile steel. It also consists of a number of components such as WTB thick slick, Wellgo pedals, and KMC chain. Its flip flop rear hub renders the flexibility to ride the vehicle either freewheel or fixed.
This bike is a perfect assortment of colors, styles, components. It also has a number of accessories that include saddles, foot straps, handlebars, water bottle cages and a lot more. Its flexible flip flop hub allows the users to change from a fixed gear to a freewheel appearance for both cruising and coasting.
The deep-dish wheels help in excellent control while establishing contact with the road. Its drome saddle renders a perfect mix and match of style and comfort.
6KU is a pioneer in the manufacturing of world-class road bikes and manufactures bikes for every personality. This brand renders a number of options for track bikers, urban bikers, day to day commuters, track bikers, etc.
The mission to get biking as simple as possible and their bikes come in ten different colors, to match one’s individual taste. You will surely enjoy and benefit from their highest quality bikes available at just $299 that way less than $500.
The track frames of these bikes are from lightweight aluminum with smooth welds. Its flip flop hub makes sure that the bikes render the best ride irrespective of you are riding freewheel or on a fixed gear.
You will not regret this low-cost purchase that is available as a lightweight option through aluminum frame and fork.
The road bikes from GoPlus is known as an expert in road commuting and is known for its speed, fashion, and practicability. As it is of aluminum make, it is lightweight and renders the bikers with excellent speed.
You can experience excellent racing experience, riding efficiency and transferring power with the help of this bike. The bike features a sturdy frame that is of strong aluminum and also offers an adjusting and comfortable handlebar and seat post for the rider.
The bike is easy to install, especially with the help of its quick-release front wheels. It is easy to maintain, install, assemble and disassemble and it also enables the biker to park and ride the bike efficiently.
The bike has a comfortable and budget-friendly price and helps with a high quality performance for the biker. With this bike, you can maximize your daily riding experience and helps in solving a lot of problems and challenges for rigorous racing on the streets.
This is an affordable road bike that not just looks great, but also renders a very smooth ride for its users. It has been designed in Italy and is made in China. it is shopped in a box and comes pre-assembled, however, you may also be required to perform a bit of assembling before taking it on road.
You will have to adjust its brakes, shifters, brake pads, etc., for an efficient driving experience. Its hydroformed aluminum alloy frame leaves the bike sturdy and safe on the road.
The tires of this bike are excellent and are able to absorb excellent shock off-road. The seats of this bike are extremely comfortable and you can adjust its height to about 15 cm. Its rear kickstand is kept together with the help of bolts and attach with each other with the help of a welding piece.
The handlebars of this bike are of the drop-down type that renders an excellent and comfortable riding experience. Its brake calipers are of Winzip brand and render an excellent stopping power after adjustments. Its pedals are also plain but do the job perfectly.
Buying Guide for Bike Under $500
Different Types of Road Bikes Available:
After ascertaining the specifications and features of the top five entry-level road bikes that are priced below $500, it is important to ascertain the different types of road bikes available. We hope this will help you in refraining your buying choice with the best road bikes available in the market.
- Race bikes: These bikes are predominantly for racing and are loved by young adults and teens. These bikes feature a very light design and feature a quality braking system. These bikes are however not meant for beginners.
- Sportbikes: These bikes are a little bigger than race bikes and are designed for endurance training and racing. These bikes are thus more comfortable and allow for a long ride without tiring. This bike is ideal for those wanting to commute a long distance every day.
- Aero bikes: If you like an aerodynamic bike that propels from moderate to high speeds, then you should consider buying the aero bikes.
- Commuter bikes: The majority of the bikes can be categorized under this category, and these are designed for the commuter to get around easily on the paved roads. These bikes have mud flaps and sturdy wheels. They concentrate much on balance and comfort rather than on speed and aerodynamics.
- Touring bikes: After getting acquainted with biking, you will naturally want to cycle for long hours. Touring bikes are an ideal answer as they have high comfort components and helps its user to ride for days at a stretch. Even if you tour for days together, you won’t feel very tired.
What Should You Consider Before Buying a Bike Less Than $500
If you are looking to buy a top-selling road bike that is under $500, there are few things to keep in mind. And those factors are as follows,
- Frame and the fork material
- Tires and Rims of the bike
- Gear level
Frame and The Fork Material:
The frame of the bike and the material of the fork is a great factor to consider while choosing to buy the right road bike. The materials that are commonly used in a road bike are
Aluminum – leaves the bike extremely reliable and robust and its carbon fork helps in absorbing vibration from the road.
Carbon Fiber – This is a strong material that renders excellent strength to weight ratio along with the required rigidity.
Steel – Bikes with steel frames are comfortable, durable and are extremely affordable. You will love its lightweight design as it helps you to travel long distances at ease.
Tires and Rims of The Bike:
Choose a bike that has the best and the most durable, aerodynamic and lightweight rims and tires. These two factors are pivotal for the handling, climbing, and acceleration of the bike. There are two types of rims, the box section rims are lightweight and they accelerate quickly whereas aero-shaped rims are strong, have less wind drag and are also stiffer with less comfort.
The choice of the rim of your bike is ultimately your personal choice. When it comes to tires of a bike, thicker the tire, longer will it last. Also, thick tires are capable of absorbing road shock better and will exhibit better friction on the road.
There are a number of best bikes available in the market from different manufacturers. All of these models are best in their own way and are available as less as $500 which is excellent for a bike of such high caliber. Do your research and homework well and choose a bike that best suits your budget and your biking style and conditions.
Road bikes have shifters that help the rider to change the gear level for better performance while going uphill or through rough terrain. Some brands have brake levels that can alternate as easy gear when pushed sideways.
The chainset that lies on the front portion of the bicycle is available in two categories, namely double and triple. Cycles with double chainsets have different rations and 53/39t lies as a more standard combination. Bikers should ascertain that bigger the number of teeth, bigger will be the gear, though they are hard to push, it helps the biker to gain great speeds.
FAQs with The Best Road Bikes:
What are the benefits of buying a road bike?
Road bikes are great tools to travel over paved, smooth and even hard surfaces. As they render a smooth riding experience, it allows its riders to travel at a decent speed, depending on where you want to travel. You can use them for distance riding, for fitness, like leisure, commuting to work or school, etc.
What is the difference between a fixed road bike and a geared bike?
The fixed bike features a single crankset and a single cassette sprocket, whereas the geared bike features multiple sprockets on the crankset. Geared bikes feature a number of moving parts, that demand constant maintenance, and adjustment.
What is the best bike to buy below $500?
All the five bikes that we have listed in our review are some of the best bikes to buy below $500.
Some Important Tips To Consider While Choosing To Buy The Best Road Bike:
We know that you will want to take all the necessary precautions before investing in your bike, even if it is for $500. Keep these points in mind and make sure that you are choosing your bike according to these guidelines laid by experts in the field.
- Consider the specs of the bike frame carefully: It is important that the frame of the bike is lightweight and stays between 20 and 30 pounds. Though it is lightweight it should be extremely durable. Road bikes that come under $500 will have a frame that is of steel, carbon, aluminum or titanium. Some bicycles can also be of frames that is of alloys.
- Fork: All of the road bikes will have their fork mounted on a steep angle and it does not feature a suspension system. Some of the best road bikes have forks that are of a strong material such as carbon or steel or an alloy of metals.
- Rims and tires: The majority of the road bikes have thin tires and rims. So you have to be careful in choosing the best road bike that has the ideal tires for fast speeds and less friction. If you are choosing a bike that is less than $500, then your bike will have a 26-29-inch tire with 23 to 28mm rims.
- Handlebars: Handlebars are the single most important feature that decides how comfortable a bike lies. Some of the best bikes feature drop handlebars that allow its users to ride in an upright position predominantly.
- Brakes: These are by far the most important features in a bike as they help the bike to stop even at the steepest of the inclines. Choose a bike that has easily maneuverable brakes to help you ease the driving.
- Saddles: Saddles in bikes that are below $500 are generally hard and does not help with a comfortable ride. So, if you want to travel for many hours in a day, then ensure that the saddle of your bike is soft, wide and is made more comfortable.
- Wheels: Bikes does come with wheels according to the specifications of the customer, if you wish to have different wheels, you can as well replace them by taking the size considerations.
- Size of the bike: If you buy a bike that is either too small or big, then you will not be able to use it. Size matters a lot when it comes to buying a bike.
We hope you now have a good idea about road bikes and how best to choose a bike below $500 or within your budget. Use our guide and your wise judgment in choosing the best bike that best suits your intent of buying one.