Best Recreational Kayaks
Spending time in a recreational kayak in the water body is fun. They are durable, sturdy and extremely maneuverable. Most of the recreational kayaks are of polyethylene, ABS plastics or of composite material. They are also affordable and perform exceptionally well in flat waters.
The best of the recreational kayaks are great companions for the weekend trip with friends and family. These kayaks are also the best to accompany for fishing and camping with the most minimal gear.
Recreational kayaks are also build to track straight with excellent control even in rough waters. They are also robust and paddle through longer distances pretty simply.
We have listed some of the best recreational kayaks here with their buying guide and safety tips while kayaking. We hope our information will help our readers choose the best kayaks for their paddling needs.
Top 6 Best Recreational Kayaks – 
- Lifetime Lotus Sit-On-Top Kayak with Paddle
- Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Dirigo 120 Recreational Kayak
- Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Tandem Sit-On-Top Recreational Kayak
- SUNDOLPHIN Sun Dolphin Aruba 10-Foot Sit-in Kayak
- Dagger Kayaks Zydeco 9.0 Kayak
- Vibe Kayaks Yellowfin Angler Sit On Top Recreational Kayak
Best Recreational Kayaks
Best Recreational Kayaks Reviews
- Kayak dimensions: 96 x 30 x 10 inches
- Weight: 38 pounds
- Kayak paddles included
- Ultra stable hull design
- Multiple footrest positions
- Hard and adjusting backrest
- Scupper holes to drain cockpit
- 5-year Limited warranty
The Lifetime Lotus Sit on top kayak is one of the best recreational kayaks that sets hold for an amazing excursion in the waters with family and friends. It is a single seater recreational kayak available in the glazing beautiful blue color.
Paddles come with the kayak and it is truly ready to paddle boat just out of the shipping box. Its hull is extremely stable and allows for excellent tracking in the waters. There are multiple footrests in the kayak for different size paddlers and even kids can use the boat at ease.
The kayak includes the best adjusting backrest for day-long padding without bothering the joints much. Its scupper holes’ drain cockpit area helps in keeping the deck dry by draining away the excess water. The molded paddle cradle and the easy carry handle are additional advantages of this recreational kayak.
Its tank has excellent storage options and its bungee cord lacing helps to secure loose items. The kayak is of high density durable polyethylene construction and is extremely lightweight at just 38 pounds. The Kayak has a 5-year limited warranty on the body and the hull.
- Kayak Dimensions: 144 x 27.8 x 14 inches
- Weight: 50 pounds
- Load capacity: 350 pounds
- The lightweight and highly maneuverable hull design
- Poly cushioned seat and foot brace system
- Easy grip thigh pads
- Enough storage options
The Old Town Recreational kayak features the best hull design that is maneuverable and lightweight. The kayak is thus ideal for ponds, lakes and flat waters. This kayak features a comfy seat with cushions and a glide track foot brace system for a stable and comfortable all day paddling.
Its easy grip thigh pads make the Dirigo extremely maneuverable in calm waters. It is possible to store enough food and gear for an afternoon paddle with its click seal hatch.
Old Town is one of the world’s oldest and the largest manufacturers of kayaks and canoes. This recreational kayak allows the user to enjoy all the comforts such as a waterproof glove box, cup holders, etc.
It also includes comfortable carrying handles. The total load-bearing capacity of the kayak is about 350 pounds. There is also a lifetime warranty on the hull.
- Kayak Dimensions: 144 x 34 x 20 inches
- Weight: 57 pounds
- Maximum load capacity: 425 pounds
- Three seater kayak
- Features a pair of comfort plus seats
- Overlapping foot wells
- Open, sit on the top hull
The Ocean Kayak Malibu helps to enjoy and explore the sun and the surf with a friend or a pet on the three seater kayak. It also supports solo, tandem and tandem paddling with a pet or a kid.
Its pair of comfort seats with four-way adjusting system creates a custom fit and an excellent prevention of slips. Its overlapping foot wells help paddlers in the center seat to settle and brace their feet comfortably.
It is an open sit on top kayak with a sturdy hull that makes getting on and off the kayak easy. The maximum load-bearing capacity of the kayak is about 425 pounds. The kayak also has a lifetime warranty on its hull.
Its hull is of triple layer polyethylene that offers an ultra-stable ride on the ocean swells. Even at the event of capsizing, the hull does not sink and is absolutely safe. This popular tandem kayak is perfect for the best and the most affordable family adventures.
- Dimensions: 120 x 30 x 13 inches
- Weight: 40 pounds
- Large and open cockpit
- Adjustable seats with padding
- Adjustable foot braces
- High density polyethylene
The Sun Dolphin Aruba 10-foot Sit in a kayak is one of the best recreational kayaks in the market for the water enthusiast. The construction of the kayak is of UV stabilized Fortiflex high density Polyethylene.
Its rugged hull is extremely stable and durable in all water conditions and in all paddling positions. Its deluxe seat is adjustable in all four directions and features excellent back support and adjusting foot braces.
The body of the kayak is of UV stabilized high density polyethylene construction and the kayak also features a spray deflector collar. The Sun Dolphin Aruba is definitely the best kayak for any water enthusiast. Its rugged high density hull makes it an ideal kayak for beginners as well.
Some additional comfort features are the kayak are its carrying handles that help in easy portage, storage hatch that is conveniently located and a water bottle holder.
- Dimensions of the kayak: 109 x 28.5 x 14.2 inches
- Weight: 36.5 pounds
- CFS –R seating system
- Paddle park
- Bungee Deck Rigging
- Slide lock foot brace system
The Dagger kayaks allow the paddler to put themselves in command in the waters while paddling. They are the best kayaks to be used in all type of waters and allows the paddler to take complete control over the boat even in moving waters such as inlets and rivers.
The design of the Zydeco kayak is appreciated by its excellent maneuverability and faster acceleration compared to other kayaks in the category of recreational kayaks. Dagger Zydeco kayaks feature some of the best seating systems such as the CFS-R seats that allows for all-day comfortable paddling.
The seat is also adjustable according to the needs of the paddler. Its Bungee Deck Rigging helps in storing ample stuff in the deck and the paddle holders help the hands to take some rest. Paddle parks help to hold the paddlers while taking photographs, fishing, etc. Another comfort feature of the kayak is its slide lock Foot Brace System that allows resting the foot comfortably while kayaking.
- Single person kayak
- Sit on top fishing kayak
- Weight: 57 pounds
- Kayak length: 10 feet
- Optimum control
- Accessories mount
- Superior comfort
The Yellowfin Angler sit on top recreational kayak is one of best-known variants in the field of recreational kayaks. It is a single person sit on the top fishing kayak with a number of excellent features that helps in kayak trips and camping.
The length of the kayak is about 10 feet and the boat is extremely lightweight at only 57 pounds. Apart from recreational purposes, the kayak is also used for fishing owing to its excellent stability and maneuverability.
The kayak renders the best control for the kayakers. The yellowfin 100 is the perfect throw and go fishing kayak as it is easy to maneuver by hand. It also offers the best stability for novice kayakers as well. There for four flush mounts for fishing rod holders. Its comfortable vibe Hero seats offer the most superior comfort while paddling.
Tips To Consider While Choosing The Kayak:
While choosing to buy a kayak there are some specific considerations to keep in mind so as to fetch the best and the most cost-effective product. These specifications are discussed here,
- Load Capacity
- Seating Arrangements
- Recreational Cockpit
Going on a recreational trip definitely demands a lot of gear starting from food to drinks and additional clothing. Also, if it is a recreational fishing trip, then it requires additional gear such as lures, tackle box, coolers, fishing rods, etc. Choose a recreational kayak that has ample storage space. There are some kayaks that offer extra-large open cockpit zones to place the gear or to bring a pet along.
Weight of the kayak determines how portable it is. It is generally good for the kayak to be lightweight so as to live it and handle it. Lightweight kayaks are also easy to mount the car and carry from the parking lot to the water source. Inflatable kayaks have better portability and are also the best kayaks for recreational purposes.
The recreational kayaks should have the maximum load-bearing capacity so as to carry maximum gear while kayaking. There are two things to consider while choosing the best kayak with the optimum weight capacity.
One is the body weight of the kayaker or the kayakers including the pet if any, the second is the total quantity of storage gear. For a person with 200 pounds’ body weight and carrying additional gear of 100 pounds, it is important for the kayak to have a load capacity of more than 350 pounds.
To avoid straining the back and do not feel tired after daylong kayaking, it is important to have the most comfortable kayak seat. The seat should have adequate padding and should have a comfortable backrest.
The seat should also be adjustable in all four directions so as to render the most comfortable seating arrangement and paddling experience. If the kayak does not come with a comfortable seat, then it can as well be removed and replaced with a more comfortable seat. It is also a good idea to add some additional foam to the seat for comfort purposes.
A recreational kayak should have the ideal cockpit which is generally oval or square in shape. The cockpit of these recreational kayaks is generally 20 inches and 36 inches long. It also offers excellent space for comfortable entry and exit to the kayak. Most of the kayaks, especially those with a design for competitive purposes come with thick padding and weatherproofing qualities.
Some of them have smart adjusting features as well. Choosing the right cockpit size and shape also decides on how well the kayaker uses the boat. Larger the cockpit better is the leg room and the kayaker also gains better control over the boat.
Specific Features of a Recreational Kayak
There are several parts in a recreational kayak that is worth understanding so as to pick up the best kayak for paddling in different types of waters. Some of its intricate features are,
- Spray Skirt: This feature is found in whiter water kayaks, recreational kayaks, and touring boats. They help in preventing the water from entering the cockpit while paddling and splashing. It also helps to maintain the stability of the boat and not sink due to water entry.
- Skeg: The skeg is generally detachable and is the fins that stabilize the kayak during windy conditions. It also helps to keep the boat stable while paddling straight and during long-distance journeys.
- Rocker: This is the term used to describe the shape of the kayak. The Rocker is the shape as that of the banana or the arc. Better the features of the rockers, easier is to maneuver the boat through the turns.
- Rudder: The Rudder is generally confused with the skeg but both of them are different entities and helps to control the direction of the kayak. It generally serves the function of a paddling aid.
Materials Which Make up The Kayaks:
The material of the kayak defines its strength, durability, and maneuverability. Most of the recreational kayaks are made of polyethylene, plastic ABS and or composite material. The difference that these materials could create on the kayak are discussed here,
- Polyethylene: Boats that are made of this material are the least expensive. It is low cost and is pretty heavy as well. Over time when the kayak is constantly exposed to UV rays, there are chances for the boat to break. Polyethylene kayaks should always be kept in the shade.
- ABS: Kayaks that are of ABS plastic resist sunlight better than polyethylene boats. It is expensive but is created to last long. These boats are easy to repair as well.
- Composite material: Some of the popular options for composite kayaks are Kevlar, Carbon fiber and Fiberglass. They are lightweight and are extremely functional.
Some Safety tips to follow while using recreational Kayaks:
1. Avoid using Alcohol while paddling: This is similar to refraining from drinking and driving. Alcohol ingestion reduces the reaction time and thus the paddler will not be able to make quick and important decisions while on the water. The waters are capable of posing sudden dangerous situations without warning at times.
2. Wear a Life Jacket or a PFD: Even though who are proficient swimmers should wear a personal floating device or a life jacket to save their lives. Jackets that are designed for kayaking are more comfortable and are less restrictive and are lifesaving at all times.
3. Dress for the weather: Kayaking in the cold weather is disgusting and also dangerous as it can lead to sudden hypothermia and even death. Those Kayaking in the cold weather should wear appropriate clothing. Beginners should try to kayak only in calm waters and as close to the shore as possible.
4. Choose a wise kayaking location: Choose the best kayaking water body that is free of waves and a location which is free of winds. Choose an easy access point that offers easy landing and launching. A calm and a quiet lake with not much currents is the best kayaking option for novice and inexperienced kayaker.
5. Practice entering and exiting the kayak: This is an important skill to develop. Those who ride sit on top kayaks find it easy but those who use a sit-in kayak should practice this strategy. Those who wish to go for swimming after anchoring both in the water have an ordeal while re-entering. They need to avoid a bulkhead to separate the kayak compartments so as to avoid flooding. For those who have not mastered the skill of re-entering the kayak, it is best to paddle near the shore.
We have compiled the complete list of the best recreational kayaks along with the best considerations while buying them. We also have listed the safety features to keep in mind while kayaking the boat. Owing the kayak offers the freedom to hit the water whenever there is a chance to relax in a stable and comfortable water environment.