If you are adventurous and love water activities then owing a life jacket is a must for you. It can give you a different experience while kayaking, water gaming, and boating. Life jackets are also called Personal Flotation Devices that gets worn typically as a jacket and comes with a zipper or closure clips. Not only it increases the fun in water but also provides you the safety and security at the highest level.
It will give your body buoyancy which will help to stay afloat in the water at the time of an emergency. No matter what kind of water body you are using and what you are doing, a life jacket is essential for everyone.
After seeing so many options and categories of life jacket, people generally get confused on what should they buy. It can be even harder for a beginner. This is why we have collected information to give you a full guide on how to purchase a life jacket without any confusion.
So, in this article, you will be learning all about the things you should look for while buying a life jacket, the caring and maintenance tips. Let’s go:
The 10 Best Life Jackets -
- NRS Chinook Fishing PFD
- Onyx MoveVent Dynamic Paddle Sports Life Vest
- NRS Ninja PFD
- MTI Adventurewear Solaris PFD Life Jacket
- Stohlquist Men’s Trekker Life Jacket/Personal Floatation Device
- MW Watersports MW Adult 4-Buckle Life Jacket Ski Vest
- Stearns Adult Classic Series Vest
- O’Neill Men’s Superlite USCG Life Vest
- Hardcore Water Sports Life Jacket Vests For The Entire Family
- O’Brien Women’s Impulse Neo Life Vest
Best Life Jackets
Best Life Jackets Reviews
Features of the NRS Chinook Fishing PFD Life Jacket :
- Dimensions: 24 x 21 x 6 inches
- Roomy front-entry design with eight adjustment points
- Soft Plush Fit foam flotation
- Comes with rod holder loops, a knife lash tab, and multiple D-rings
- Comfortable to wear
This life jacket is suitable for any water activities like kayak fishing, fly fishing, and extended tours. The lower of the jacket is made with mesh to give great fit on high-back seats. It has needed space for proper ventilation when the weather gets warm. You can easily customize the fit for comfort and security.
You will feel an unexceptional level of comfort unsurpassed in the body after wearing it. It comes with a coil tool retractor that helps you clipping online snips, forceps. With the help of this tool, you can keep needy tools that are handy.
It has a D-ring attached on the back so you can bind your net, plus a strobe holder loop to keep the visibility in low light conditions. With 16.5 lbs you can expect the life jacket o stand any condition.
Features of the Onyx MoveVent Dynamic Paddle Sports Life Vest :
- Bubble foam on inner back for comfort
- Drying loop on back and attached whistle for safety
- Soft, lightweight flotation foam
- Sola’s grade reflective material for visibility
- Made with 200 denier nylon ripstop and nylon oxford
If you are looking for an all-purpose life jacket then it has to get to be this one. It has several features already in it which enables you to move without giving it a second thought. It comes with lash tab to keep the small accessories close so you don’t lose it.
Apart from this, it has a whistle attached to the jacket which is important for the safety in the water. It comes with a drying loop on the back with extra ease and comfort while wearing it. This life jacket is amazing to provide excellent mobility for recreational paddle sports like canoe, kayak, SUP.
It provides needed ventilation in front and back to keep you cool and dry. It has expandable zippered pockets with mesh drainage which is going to help keep your things.
#3. NRS Ninja PFD
Features of the NRS Ninja PFD Life Jacket :
- Design flotation: 16.5 lbs.
- Weight: M/L 1.95 lbs.
- Profile: Low. Design Flotation: 16.5 lbs.
- Outer Fabric: 200-denier urethane-coated ripstop nylon.
- Shoulder with 2 ƒ” and US Coast Guard approval.
It will provide you the great fit for your body for any water activities. To enter the life jackets, it has got a side bucket. It will be giving you the most comfortable feeling for any kind of water sports. The best part is it does the work while staying out of the way.
This is what everyone wishes for in the water. You can get to choose from small size to the XXL to give you much-needed fit. It sticks to the size and is extremely comfortable.
After using it, you will never go back to any other Life jackets. It is extremely comfortable to wear and to work as it doesn’t get in the way.
Features of the MTI Adventurewear Solaris PFD Life Jacket :
- Reflective striping at front and back
- Mesh lower section with higher seat backs
- Two large expandable bellows front pockets
- Hat hanger loop for a hat
- Key retainer clip in front pocket
The MTI Solaris PFD is going to be a life jacket which will enable you to sit back and enjoy the water activities. Safety will be the life jacket’s work. It comes with center buckle closure that can easily get adjusted from sides and shoulder straps to provide a perfect fit.
Reflective striping at the front and back of the life jacket will add visibility even in low light conditions. The front foam of the life jacket is 3D contour-cut to wrap you all round for a comfort fit. It is extremely slim at the upper chest panels are.
With meshwork, this life jacket feels great and looks even better. It is excellent for ventilation as it has front buckles for the opening.
Features of the Stohlquist Men’s Trekker Life Jacket/Personal Floatation Device :
- Made with nylon
- 7″ high and 17″ wide
- 500 Denier Cordura shell and 200 deniers oxford liner
- Comes with ventilated shoulder and back pad.
- Hand Wash Soap and Water
This life jacket is going to be the one you have been looking for. It is made with cool mesh to fit the body with ease and comfortably above the seat backs. It has several demanding features like front zipper entry, grip tab, adjustable padded shoulders, and roomy zippered front pockets.
It is extremely suitable for any water activities whether it is in a river, lake or ocean. You will be shocked to see how it reacts to the water. You can easily enjoy the canoes and other water activities. It is going to help you accentuate the fun.
It will never come in your way and will give you needed space for pedalling. It will give you complete freedom of movement for anything that you will need to do.
Features of the MW Watersports MW Adult 4-Buckle Life Jacket Ski Vest:
- 4-Buckle Design with EZ release straps
- Made with Nylon from Outer and inside
- Perfect for all flat water boating activities
- USCG(U.S. Coast Guard) Approved
- Comfortable to wear
This life jacket is made with 200-denier premium nylon which is extremely smooth. It will be going to stand by your side for any water activities like water skiing, wakeboarding, canoeing, general boating, and more.
The MW Watersports 4-Buckle Nylon Life Vest is made with nylon vest. While most of the other life jacket uses cheap material, this model uses premium 200-denier nylon. It also includes EZ quick release buckles which get adjusts easily to give you a snug, perfect fit.
You can avail from the XS to 6XL which ensures that you get your perfect life jacket. Not only for the adults but it is equally responsible for kids too. It has special straps attached in the life jacket to ignore any problem with every life vest.
Features of the Stearns Adult Classic Series Vest:
- Made with Nylon
- Comes with Three-buckle design
- Open-sided design
- 3-buckle boating vest
- Approved by Coast Guard
This life jacket gives you the option to choose from the wide range of Sizing, for example, Adult Universal is 30″-52″(76-132), Adult Oversized is 52″-62″(132-157). It will help you enjoy a comfortable day on the boat with this Stearns Adult Classic Series Vest.
It is approved by The US Coast Guard. It is designed with three adjustable chest belts to make you extra comfortable. This life jacket is made with durable nylon shell and PE foam inside. This is the reason why it is going to be the suitable life for every season.
It is extremely lightweight and comfortable. The arm cutouts of this life jacket are EXTREMELY spacious which makes it one of the most picked life jackets on the market. It is made with strong material and straps of the jackets are secured.
Features of the O’Neill Men’s Superlite USCG Life Vest :
- USCG Approved Personal Flotation Device
- Minimal Bulk Design Allows Full Mobility
- Durable Coated Polyester Shell
- Lightweight Polyethylene Foam Is Soft and Comfortable
- Ideal For Variety Of Body Types
This life jacket is going to be everything that you might be looking for till now. It has made with best quality material to get your body more comfort and ease. It is approved and suitable for all kind of water activities and sports like kayaking, surfing, Waterskiing, Tubing, and Swimming.
It is creates a Strong Exterior with quality material. It is not wrong to say this life jacket is made of a fine material to give your body a much-needed comfort. It exactly does what it promises.
If you have ordered the right size, you can easily wear it above a shirt to give you a bit snug fit. You will be floating off the water effortlessly if wearing it in deep water.
Features of the Hardcore Water Sports Life Jacket Vests :
- Available in all sizes for kids and adults
- Made with Durable polyester
- Open sided vest
- Secure 1″ webbing
- US Coast Guard approved
ONE life jacket takes your tension away to find the size for your body. No matter what your size is you are going to get a selected size and color. It is known for its versatility and comfort which will enable you to be tension free and enjoy the water activities. This Hardcore Life Vest is the most comfortable life jacket available on the market today.
You can easily use this life jacket for a variety f water sports and activities. From Fishing to Waterskiing to Boating and Tubing, it is going to help you enjoy the thrilling experience.
The best part is it can get easily adjusted to fit the majority of adults and teens. A vest made for kids can fit kids of 30-50 lbs and for the youth, it can get adjustable to fit kids 50-90 lbs.
Features of the O’Brien Women’s Impulse Neo Life Vest:
- Neoprene outer for comfortable fit
- Comes with Zip closure and 2 belts
- Got Multiple hinge point on front & back
- Zippered Front Closure
- Coast Guard approved
The Obrien Ladies Impulse Neoprene Vest is a suitable solution for water activities. It is made with comfortable material so you don’t get any rashes on your body. It is approved by the US Coast Guard which mean it is approved for any water activities including, kayaking, swimming, and other water fun.
The Vest has Wide Armholes designed in the life jacket which will give you the freedom of movement at the time of Skiing providing. The 1.5mm Neoprene Outer enables the Extreme Comfort and Fit.
It comes with front zippered Closure with 2-Adjustable Belts. Side-Release Buckles are made to get adjusted according to the need and comfort. It provides much-needed comfort and secured Fit.
Things you should check while buying Life Jacket
- Additional Features
When searching for life jackets, you will see a variety of sizes based on age and height. You have to get a life jacket which is the right size for you with excellent fitting. You need to get the accurate measurements at the time of purchase especially chest measurements. Try the life jacket before buying it so you can see if it is perfect for you.
To get the desired support in the water it is extremely important to get the perfect fit. For children and kids, getting a customized life jacket is the suitable option. If it is loose on the body then it would not do the work best. Strapped life jackets are the commonly chosen one among people. It is easy to get adjusted and provide the best fit. Apart from this, one can also consider foam-placement as it is best for both comfort and safety. According to comfort level and the body type one can easily adjust the straps and get the customized fitting instantly.
You will see plenty of options available out in the market while purchasing life jackets. But one which is made for your purpose and made with the best quality material will be able to serve you best results. Make sure that the material is skin-friendly and doesn’t cause any kind of skin irritations or rashes. You will see many life jackets that are skin friendly. Apart from this, you can directly search for life jackets which are made of PVC. These life jackets are eco-friendly because they can easily get recycled and create fresh jackets. PVC is will provide you with a very strong and durable life jacket which can stand any temperature.
Who doesn’t want to get extra? This is exactly what you have to look for. At the time of purchase see what other features you are getting with the life jackets. Additional features which can give more ease to water activities are always appreciable. You can get bright and neon colors, reflective tape, excellent ventilation, multiple pockets to hold your belongings, loops or tool hangers, tabs, and several others.
Other Important things for Life Jackets
Before going into the water, check other things like:
- There will be a label on the jacket that says U.S. Coast Guard approved which means you have bought the authorized life jacket.
- To check the fit always raise your arms. If you see that the child’s chin and ears do not slip through the hole, then this is the perfect jacket. Do not purchase a jacket which is too big.
- If you get head support in life jackets then it is a plus. It will hold the back of the head up.
- Checking comfort ability is also important as it can cause pain at the time of removal. So always check comfort ability.
Care for Life Jackets
To increase the durability of life jackets, it is advisable to take care of it and the performance. For this, you just have to remember a few tips and tricks and it will last longer.
- Do not keep the life jackets out in the sunlight for long periods of time. Always keep the sharp objects out of the pockets as it can puncture the jacket. As a result, the life jackets will lose buoyancy.
- After water games, rinse off any salt water on the life jackets with fresh water.
- Do not store it before it gets completely dry. Always store the jacket in a cool, dry, dark place.
Maintenance of Life Jackets
Before purchasing see if you have got any guidebook on how to handle and maintain life jackets. It will be a perfect option for all the beginners to start with.
- You can check the safety indicator of the jacket which is green in color. Some life jackets have a bright LED or strobe light for night
- If you own auto-inflating life jackets then checking the arming components is extremely important. Check that you are not using expired batteries and they are in proper contact. See if there is any sign of corrosion or leakage.
- Check the status of the CO2 cylinder and see if it is properly secured and charged. If you see any damages then take the cylinder out for inspection but don’t forget to replace it without over-tightening.
- If your life jackets ask for manual oral inflation, then you need to be little cautious with this. Check if the tube is not worn or cracked. Fill the air in life jackets with the help of manual oral inflation tube and then leave it in a room of overnight. If you see no changes in the pressure then it is fine to use. But if there is any deflation then you need to an approved service center.
Life jackets are a must have because it works as a life-saving device. But if you do not have the proper information you will end up buying the life jackets which are not suitable for you. But with this article, we have tried to give all the information. We really hope this article builds a confidence in you to go out and shop for life jackets. So if you think you are ready to buy a life jacket, then go out now and start shopping. Choose the perfect one and be stress-free.
For more of our top gear recommendations, check out these popular outdoor gear guide links : Best Kayak Seats | Best Kayak Trailers | Best SUP Paddles | Best Snorkel Gear | Best Full Face Snorkel Masks | Best Dive Lights | Best Skimboards | Best Body Boards | Best Stand up Paddle Boards | Best Paddle Board Roof Racks | Best Inflatable SUP & Kayak Electric Pumps