Best Bike Headlights
For mountain bikers, having the best front light for the bike is essential as they venture across different terrains even in the dark. They are of utmost importance with urban riders as they are bombarded with thick traffic in all seasons and at all times of the day.
They are of paramount importance to throw decent luminance on the path irrespective of the weather, in both sunny afternoons and rainy days. Law in most of the States demands that cyclist who cross the roads after it is dark must have a front white light and red rear light to avoid penalty.
For those riding through dusk and dawn, an appropriate headlight with a descent luminance renders a clear picture of the path. It also helps other vehicles to spot the motorist on the road and thus avoids bombarding with each other and also prevents road accidents. Most of the headlights have powerful batteries, and some they can recharge their batteries through a portable USB.
There are lights available for all type of budgets, in different lumens, in different dimensions and properties. We have listed the top six best headlights for our readers with some important attributes on choosing the best headlight for their bikes.
Quick Answer: Top 6 Best Bike Headlights – 
- Bright Eyes 1600 Lumen Mountain, Road Bike Headlight
- TeamObsidian Bike Light Set
- NiteRider Pro 1800 Race, MTB Race Bike Light
- Cycle Torch Shark 500 USB Rechargeable Bike Light
- Ascher USB Rechargeable Bike Light Set
- soonfire FD38S USB Rechargeable Bike Headlight
Best Bike Headlights
Best Bike Headlights Reviews
- Product weight: 1.4 pounds
- 3 modes with intense lumen technology
- 4 heavy duty O rings for bike mounting
- Up to 16 hours of light in low mode
- Free diffuser lens
- Free LED Silicone headlight
- One year manufacturing warranty
The Bright Eyes Mountain bike headlight helps the biker to ride with a lot of confidence along with safety and security. The light offers excellent and intensely bright light. The light maintains the uniform quality of its output light until the battery drains completely.
The headlight renders up to five hours of constant light in high mode and up to 16 hours of low intensity light of 450 lumens. Its intense lumen technology can emit powerful lights of 1600 lumens, thus eliminating the need to ride in dim light.
The headlight emits bright white light that offers pure brightness up to 500 ft. and visibility up to 3000 feet. This long-lasting high quality LED headlamp mounts easily on the bike with its heavy duty O rings. Power is supplied by its 8.4 volts 6400 mAh Lithium-ion battery.
The wall charger helps to recharge the battery. Velcro Ties helps in securing the battery wires and the headlight with the bike. The product has a lifetime guarantee for the headlight and one year warranty for the battery.
- Product dimensions: 9 x 2.8 x 3.2 inches
- Weight: 9.6 ounce
- Aluminum headlight with CREE bulb
- Tail light has 5 LED lights
- Adjustable braces
- Assembles in seconds without tools
- Powered by standard AAA batteries
The Team Obsidian bike light helps in guiding the way in complete darkness with its bright light. The light projects as far as 100 yards in flashing modes to mark the user presence in all weather conditions. Most importantly, the light projects in flashing modes in both the head and the tail light. It thus helps to grab the attention of other vehicles to avoid accidents.
The headlight torch is of solid aluminum make and the reflector is of ABS plastic. It lasts longer than most of its counterparts because its body is of 100% rust and corrosion free material. The lights with reflectors are ideal for mountain biking and operate with five AAA size batteries.
The water resistant headlight withstands extremes of weathers including heat, dust, snow, and rain with no damage. It is possible to attach the light manually with no tools in a few seconds and its screws let it stand firmly on the bar. Its rubber brackets help the light to adjust with handlebars of any size, adapting it to all size bikes.
The front headlight can detach from its braces to be used as a hand torchlight. Besides being the best headlight in the market, it also has 2 years warranty against manufacturer defects, which is extendable up to 5 years.
- Measurements: 8 x 6 x 3 inches
- Weight: 1.67 pounds
- 1800 lumens powerful light
- Compact and lightweight
- Long lasting and durable
- Water and dust resistant
The Nite Rider MTB race bike light emits 1800 lumens of bright light with custom reflectors with its 3 LEDs. The light generated wide beam light with the spotlight of excellent intensity, making it perfect for high-speed riders. The lightweight and compact features make it ideal for racers and biking enthusiasts.
Its clamps mount with handlebars of 35 mm thickness and feature 36-inch extension cable and amount for helmets. The light is of fiberglass reinforced nylon, making is long lasting and durable. The unit is dust and water resistant and features gasket sealing to withstand diverse and extreme riding conditions.
The borofloat glass lens helps with outstanding resistance against heat, mechanical strength and exceptional transparency. Its eight step fuel gauge helps riders to check their battery levels at a quick glance, thereby helping them to focus on the trail.
Its superior engineering and design leave the headlight with the best configuration and a clean look. There is a limited lifetime warranty that covers defects on its mechanical components and the LEDs. Its nylon pouch secures the lighting system and the accessories securely until the next adventure.
- Measurements: 3 x 1.8 x 1.7 inches
- Weight: 1.2 pounds
- Rechargeable front and tail light for Bike
- Lighting with CREE LED lights of 500 Lumens
- Attaches manually with no tools
- Flat beam shape
- Water resistant
- 100% money back guarantee
The cycle torch shark rechargeable bike light has an excellent run time and includes a USB cord for recharging. Its smart charging technology helps to recharge the light using a mobile phone charger, laptop, and computer.
It offers 2+ hours of runtime in high mode and offers super bright light for efficient commuting. Its CREE LED light with 500 lumens renders maximum illumination in any terrain. The shark 500 bike installs in few seconds and features a flat beam shape with extreme water resistance.
The bike headlight is designed specifically for the cyclist riding in tough terrains and urban environment. The lights are not blinding and are therefore ideal for use in intense traffic conditions too. It is 100% water resistant and is extremely lightweight weighing only 100 grams.
The product also has a 100% satisfaction besides having a money back guarantee. If its performance does not satisfy the users then the company will either replace it or refund the money.
- Product weight: 7.8 ounces
- Advanced design with USB charging port
- Four light modes
- Easy installation and multifunction
- 18 months warranty
- Silicone mount straps.
- 100 % satisfaction guarantee
This USB rechargeable light has advanced design and is built with a 650 mAh recharging battery. It is completely resistant to water and protects from water splashing in any angle. Most importantly the headlight and the taillight have a one-touch switch with four different lighting modes.
The four modes are full and half brightness and fast/slow flashing. Its silicone mount straps have two openings that fit handlebars of any thickness. They can fit on helmets, seat risers, backpacks and also seat posts without tools.
The versatility of the bike light makes it ideal for hiking, cycling, camping and all outdoor activities, it acts best as an emergency flashlight as well. The light is small yet highly efficient rendering bright lights in the nights making cruising in mountain terrains and crowded roads easy. The product has a 100% satisfaction guarantee with excellent customer service.
- Dimensions: 9 x 1.6 x 2.6 inches
- Weight: 8.6 ounces
- USB chargeable light with long run time
- Bright luminance for 32 hours
- Portable design and appearance
The Soon fire rechargeable bike headlight is ideal for bikers, hikers and those involved in adventures as it has a long run time. It works with two 3400 mAh batteries that render constant luminance for 32 hours. The light can be recharged for over 500 times and is easy to assemble and dismantle within few seconds without any tools.
Its durability and shock resistance comes from its aluminum body. The unit is extremely water resistant and thus can be used in heavy rain as well. The two vision headlight has a micro USB charging point and features no wires or battery packs.
Its luminance extends to about 500 feet with a bright white light from its LED sweeps. The headlight is practically indestructible even in tough terrains. It is ideal to fix on handlebars of 22-35 mm thickness, though it is adjustable and ideal to fit most bikes.
How To Choose Best Bike Headlights
Qualities of the Best Bike Headlights:
- Brightness of the Bike
- Water Resistance
- Buying Essentials
Brightness of the Bike:
Brightness of the bike headlight is an important factor as it shows the way while driving in absolute darkness. The quality of the beam is also equally important, for a narrow beam projects on objects before it minimizing the opportunity for peripheral vision. Mountain bikes should have surround light for at least 1800 lumens at a reach of about 10 feet or higher. But such sharp brightness are meant for mountain biking only as it might blind the other vehicles on road.
The best LED bike headlights have different beam patterns and brightness levels. Bikes with a pulsing or flashing beam are safe and best for maximum visibility. It should be possible to change modes and adjust the level of brightness in the bikes as well. Most of the LED lights can transform as a camping or personal flashlight as well expanding their implications.
High intensity headlight should not be in strobe or flashed mode while using in the night to avoid blinding of the oncoming traffic. The best brightness recommendation is to have a steady flashing light for estimating the path ahead and to avoid pulsing and strobing light patterns.
Some headlights are extremely light weight and fit into the pocket or purse without much bulk. Portability is an important concern for urban riders to prevent their lights from getting stolen. These lights are powered by AAA batteries and mounts on the handlebar. Off road lights on the other hand lack portability as they have larger LED lights and external batteries.
Resistance to rain and water are important attributes of the best headlight. Most of the mountain bikers deserve these lights as the wild environment is unpredictable and sudden sprinkles and drizzles are common here. Water resistant lights avoid their damage from sudden downpour and are a good value for money.
There are many different types of bike headlights, namely front and back lights, headlights, blinkers on the rear etc. There is a different light for different price points and a high end variant offers 6000 lumen bright light for more than 4 hours. Most of the lights render considerable lighting at comprehensive pricing. Even the budget friendly headlight can attach and detach on the handle bar is seconds and function perfectly in all weather conditions. Along with wide angle headlights, bikers can also wear reflective full length leggings and bands to help enhance their visibility to many folds.
Two Different Types of Bike Lights
There are two types of bike lights available and these vary based on the type of the bike one is riding.
1. Safety Bike lights are small LED lights that can be stored in the saddle bag and are not very bright. The main purpose of the light is to allow pedestrians and cars to see the biker. They are not meant for lighting one’s way. These lights are generally used in urban areas for better visibility without blinding other vehicles.
2. The main bikes light for brightness are meant for off road use to help the beam in lighting the way in total darkness. They are versatile and are easy to mount on the handlebar of the bike and also on the helmet. They are large and emit lights of higher lumens and it is possible to recharge the batteries. The Night rider pro is an excellent example of main bike light for brightness.
Type of Batteries:
Depending on the type of the headlight, its lumens and beam quality, they use different types of batteries.
- Rechargeable batteries: Most of the lights that have rechargeable batteries feature a single battery that recharge with a USB port. They are convenient as there is no need to buy disposable ones.
- Bike Taillights: They have lithium polymer batteries that are similar to cellphones. They are smaller and flatter and are also less bulky. But these lights have a short lifetime, especially in cold weather.
- Disposable alkaline batteries: Some headlights power up with standard AAA size batteries that have lower density than lithium ones. They are much beneficial during extended trips where access to electricity for recharging is limited.
Almost all of the battery powered headlights have a considerable battery life. On an average, they render an hour of brightest light in full beam and up to 16 hours of light in low beam settings. It is possible to alter the settings of the light from high to low beam depending on the amount of light required.
High quality bike light feature a consistent light beam for a long time period whereas cheaper lights offer bright luminance for a short time and the brightness fades with battery discharge. Variants such as Nite Rider pro have a better discharge and the brightness of their lights is also more consistent.
Mounting Style of The Bike Headlight:
It is possible to mount the bike headlight is two main ways. The common way is to attach the lights to the handle of the bars. Most lighting system has two different lights, to attach on the handle bar and on the tail lights. Some dual mount lights can attach on the helmets as well.
- Helmet mount lights: helmet lights are ideal for mountain biking as it helps to looks far ahead in the road so as to identify obstacles and turns in the trail in advance. Helmet mount headlights are extremely flexible than handle bar light and most bikers prefer to have both of them.
- Handlebar Mount light: This is most common style of bike headlights. These mounts secure to the handlebar firmly with knobs and have wraps and straps for batteries. They are also simple to remove by just unlocking the latch. Their ability to swivel the light enhances their functionality as there is no need to stop and turn the bike to illuminate them.
Using a bike headlight are not only for lighting the way, but to reduce the chances of accidents white biking on different terrains. It is important to find the prompt style and type of the light that mounts best on the bike handlebars. A recharging headlight with a bright and wide beam is the best choice and a handle bar mounting headlight is the best for biking in all terrains. We hope our guide will help you to choose the best headlight from the list and enrich the knowledge regarding bike headlights.
For more of our top gear recommendations, check out these popular outdoor gear guide links : Best Snowboard Goggles | Best Snowboarding Gloves | Best Snowboarding Jackets for Men | Best Women’s All Mountain Skis | Best Beach Cruiser Bicycles For Men and Women | Best Folding Bikes | Best Bike Headlights | Best Carbon Fiber Mountain Bikes | Best Hybrid Bikes for Men & Women